Purple shampoo is a toning shampoo especially with crushed violet pigments that neutralize brassy and yellow tones that may not be appealing to your eyes.
It is possible because purple is the opposite of yellow in the color wheel and hence will cancel out the yellow or brassy hues.
Thus you can use it if your hair is yellow due to uneven bleaching and coloring. It is also recommended that you use it on blonde or brunette hair that is yellowed or has a brassy tone due to UV rays, chlorine mineral impurities in the water you use to wash your hair in, etc.
Regular usage of a purple hue will keep the brassiness under control, making your hair look refreshed and cool-toned.
What happens when you use purple shampoo on grey hair?
Purple shampoo can be used on both natural and artificially colored grey hair. As purple shampoo which has violet crushed components will neutralize the brassy or yellow hues from your hair.
Can purple shampoo be used on grey hairs?
Grey hair often associated with old age has also in this modern-day become a fashion trend too and people are flaunting the hair that once people were desperate to hide. A positive change in the fashion field. People even color their hair grey now and flaunt it by adding highlighters etc. Despite hoe, you got natural hair by nature’s cycle or because you decided to dye it, it should be maintained properly.
It is for this maintenance that people use purple shampoo, which has been known for its use by blonde people to remove brassy or yellow hues from their caused by the sun, heat styling, chlorine, etc. or if you colored your hair grey it is probably because the color is fading away and toners are coming off.
Purple shampoo can be used on both natural and artificially colored grey hair. It doesn’t change your hair color or change the shade, so you don’t have to worry about looking like ‘Violet’ from ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Cream Factory’. But it does tone your hair and make it look better than before.
Now if your grey or silver hair is not natural but hair color and you are worried that the shampoo will strip the color off, then you don’t have to because since purple shampoo doesn’t have any sulfate or really harsh chemicals it won’t be stripping any color from your hair. One another plus point of this product is that since it comes in the form of shampoo, then one can just use it at home and won’t have to compromise on money and time to go visit a salon and get a glosser or toner.
Please make sure that you use purple shampoo not blue or green as they are not intended for yellow or brassy hues in your hair.
Watch the video for further guidance
How to use purple shampoo?
You can use the purple shampoo the same way as you use ordinary shampoo, which is also one of the reasons why people opt for it instead of going to a salon and getting a glosser or toner.
- Wet your hair
- Take shampoo and lather it on your hair
- The amount of time you need to leave on the shampoo depends on the level of yellow hue or brassiness in your hair.
- After waiting for the required amount of time, rinse out the shampoo using water and apply a purple conditioner to your hair to nourish as well as prevent breakage.
- You can use the purple shampoo on your hair often depending on the color of your hair.
- But keep in mind that if you overuse the product, a purple hue might appear on your hair.
- Please wear gloves while dealing with purple shampoo.
Best Purple shampoos for gray hair
1. Joico Color Endure Violet Shampoo
- Neutralizes brassy tones.
- Suitable for icy blondes, lightened or highlighted blonde or gray hair.
- The product instructs to leave on the shampoo for 3-5 minutes and to use it 2-3 times per week.
2. Aveda Blue Malva Color Shampoo
- Adds brightness to your gray hair
- Neutralizes the brassy tone in hair.
- Suitable for all shades.
3. Redken Color Extend Gradient Purple Shampoo
- Suitable for gray,silver and light blonde hair.
- Removes brass
4. Bold Unique Purple Shampoo For Blonde, Platinum, gray/silver Hair
- Removes brassy and yellow/orange undertones from your light colored hair.
- Suitable for platinum, ash, silver, gray hairs
- Bright and refresh your hair.
- Paraben and sulfate free
5. MATRIX Total Results So Silver Color Depositing Purple Shampoo for Blonde and Grey Hair
- Eliminate and neutralize unwanted brassiness and yellow undertones.
- Add cool brightness to your hair.
6. Playa Violet Brightening Shampoo
- Reduces the brassy tone from your hair.
- Improve the shine of your hair.
- Suitable for colored and damaged hair.
7. Clairol Shimmer Lights Purple Shampoo for Blonde & Silver Hair
- Maintain the ash tone of your hair.
- No residue
- Reduces brassiness and eliminates yellow hue
- no left behind residue.
- specially formulated for blonde or gray hair.