People assume that frizziness is a genetic trait, inherited from your parents. However, it is not always the case. The cause for frizzy hair arises from the way you care for and treat your hair.
If you are someone who can’t stay away from straighteners or curlers, then you are bound to get frizzy strands if you do not do anything to counter the after-effects. So let us look into more details regarding how to tame frizzy grey hair.
Imagine your pen running out of black ink. Once your writing turns more translucent or less dark, it indicates that your pen has run out of ink. The same applies to your hair colour as you age. The cells that present the pigment in your hair follicles perish with time.
As this happens, the natural colour of your hair fades and in its place, grey or lighter shades begin to appear. Frizzy hair is associated with grey hairs and with age, it becomes harder to tame and manage your hair.
What causes frizzy hair?
Frizzy hair is indicative of the fragile and dry nature of your hair.
When the top layer of your hair, called the hair cuticles, is penetrated by harsh chemical processes or regular exposure to heat, then it gets damaged permanently.
This causes your hair to lose its absorption and retention capacity, thereby losing essential nourishment and moisture. This leaves your hair dry or frizzy, along with malicious curls.
Moreover, ageing can also cause frizzy hair.
How do I stop my grey hair from frizzing?
If your frizziness comes with greying of your hair, then you need not entirely blame the various hair care products. As you age, the oil-secreting glands present in your hair strands produce less oil. This is one reason for grey hair to appear less
Rather here are some measures you could adopt to stop grey hair from frizzing;
1. Argan oil
- This oil is great in repairing split ends which is the main cause of frizzy hair.
- It eliminates dandruff and grows hair cells.
- Repairs damage due to harsh ingredients from haircare products.
2. Almond Oil
- Almond oil has the unique feature that makes sure your hair does not grey before ageing.
- It allows the roots to gain volume and gives your hair an overall shine.
- Also, this oil calms the frizzy texture of your hair.
- It repairs damaged hair.
3. Olive oil
- It is a natural moisturiser that tames brittle and dry hair.
- This is the best remedy for split ends.
- They are useful to prevent frizzy hair.
Hot oil treatment for grey frizzy hair
If you have accepted the transformation of your dark hair to grey, then it is important to make hot oil treatment a part of your hair care routine. Sometimes, what your hair needs is a natural touch. So here are the steps for an effective hot oil treatment;
- Get the oil ready; you must decide on any oil for this treatment. Refer to the above-mentioned oil. Experts recommend argan oil for such cases. This oil has the properties of repairing damaged hair which is essential for grey hair.
- Heat the oil; for this, you would require a large pot of water and heat it over the stove. Once it starts to boil, place a bowl with 3 tablespoons of the oil on top of the water.
- Massage the oil into your scalp; make sure to cover all the regions of your scalp. Cover the roots and all the hair strands.
- Cover your hair with a plastic bag and keep it for half an hour. You may also leave it overnight. Then wash off with a shampoo and then use a conditioner. Make sure you don’t leave any oil residue which causes build-up and even dandruff.
Using a lot of hair care products leads to product build-up on your hair, causing a lot of damage. Most of the products are manufactured to coat the hair strands and make them more manageable.
As the hair turns grey, it is a sign to switch to more gentle products considering the feeble nature of your hair, which is prone to frizziness and damage.
1. Apple cider Vinegar
This ingredient can naturally remove the product build-up in your hair. Not just that, it also balances the pH of your hair. An imbalance of pH can affect the nature of your hair rendering it frizzy and weak.
Here is the video about ACV.
2. Stay hydrated
Drink plenty of water. Nothing works better than hydrating yourself enough to reach every strand of your hair. A busy schedule will give us no time to acknowledge the dryness felt in your mouth. But, remember that it is directly affecting the health of your hair.
Water is a great trick for healthy and nourished hair.
How to make grey hair smooth and shiny?
1. Trim your hair regularly
If you eliminate damaged ends, it would be more than enough to remove the frizziness of your hair. Trim your hair at least a little, enough to keep the length of your desire. And then make sure to care for your new hair.
2. Make use of natural ingredients
- Lemon – This ingredient helps in cleansing the hair and confers a natural shine.
- Yoghourt – Yoghurt is good for hydrating and nourishing hair. Apply this ingredient as a natural moisturiser.
Greying is a natural process and when your embrace it just like your young hair, you will notice the beauty of the grey strands.