Confused about whether your shampoo has expired or not? Or do you have a bottle of shampoo with you for a long time now but you are dicey to use it again then? Then today we are going to clear all of your doubts.
But before getting deep into the topic let us see if shampoo expires?
Yes, shampoo does expire. There is no such shampoo that does not expire. If you look closely at the packaging of your shampoo you will find an expiration date. If you have used an expired shampoo then you must seek professional advice.
Not only shampoo, but your conditioner also has an expiration date. It is always a smart idea to look at any product’s expiration date before using it as it can cause irreversible damage to your natural possession.
Many times, you buy a shampoo bottle that does not have a manufacturing or expiration date. In that case you’ll have to find out how. For that read the full blog post.
Can I use expired shampoo?
First of all, the answer is no, why would you use an expired product. Even if it doesn’t harm you, it will not help you achieve the results either. It Is never advised to use an expired shampoo.
If you want to ask whether it is safe to use expired shampoo then it depends on the type of shampoo you are using. If you are using an organic shampoo without preservatives then it may undergo some chemical reaction.
This shampoo will not lather the way it ideally should. Using such a shampoo may cause bacterial and fungus infection not visible to your eye but can trigger your hair life and growth. However, there is no scientific evidence to prove any of these effects. Some unopened chemically stable shampoos may work perfectly even after 2 years of manufacture or purchase.
How to tell if the shampoo has expired?
The first and the foremost way to check whether the shampoo has expired or not is to see the packaging. On the container, there will also be a number with the letter “M,” which stands for “months.” Most likely, it will be:
This means the manufacturer is saying that once you open a shampoo bottle, you should use it within a certain time frame — usually 12 months, 18 months, or 24 months.
If there is no expiration date then there are a few identifications to judge if your shampoo has gone bad or not.
The most common identifications are having a bad odor, there might be some discoloration, looking a little clumsy, or not working the way it should. The shampoo can also feel a little different while tough it.
How Long Does a Shampoo last?
There is no estimated or fixed time to decide how long a shampoo’s shelf life is because of the immense variety of shampoos available in the market. Some shampoos can last as long as 2 years while there are also products that go bad within 6 months.
All of this works on a few factors: –
- A shampoo that has preservatives lasts longer than the one which does not like the organic, all-natural, or preservative-free shampoo. These shampoos need to be stored in a fast way not to be stored for a longer time period.
- The second factor is the way you store your product, do not ever store the product in a long way. You are doing nothing but decreasing the shelf-life of the product. Always read the storage instructions mentioned on the shampoo or store it in a dry and cool place.
- Not only shampoo but your makeup, hair color, anything can go bad if not handled with hygiene. Maintaining good hygiene is important for this reason.
My shampoo isn’t giving better results. Has it expired?
The question is very basic and common, but not always the first reason can be the product does not suit you well. Secondly, you are not using it properly.
Here is the correct way to use your shampoo.
Most of the time your hair is left greasy because you must not be washing your hair properly. Here is a stepwise tutorial for you.
- Always wet your hair before applying any shampoo or conditioner on your hair.
- After making each of your hair strands wet, apply a coin size shampoo onto your hair scalp using your figure.
- Do not use your nails! Using nails will dig in your scalp and it will give way to natural hair oil. So, use only your fingers to massage your scalp.
- Rinse your hair with cold water. Rinse it thoroughly 2 to 3 times so that none of the product is left on your hair.
- Wait for a few minutes if you feel any oil or product still in your hair you can repeat the steps.
- Do not forget the condition. apply coin size conditioner over your hair stands and not to your scalp.
- Leave it for a minute or two and rinse it very properly under running water. Running water helps to wash off all the products easily.
What should I do if I have expired shampoo?
Now, if you have identified that you have an expired shampoo then you must be thinking that throwing it away is the best option but it’s not. There are plenty of ways you can use that shampoo.
1.Manicure and pedicure
Surprisingly, yes! Your expired shampoo can be bad for your hair but will not do any damage when used for manicures and pedicures. All you have to do is to pour a little shampoo into a warm tub of water and put your legs inside it. scrub your legs and you’re good to go.
2. Bubble bath
Same as a manicure you can put the shampoo into your bathtub and enjoy the bubble bath with the help of your expired shampoo. And I am sure you will enjoy that as it didn’t make any hole in your pocket.
3. Cleaning the bathroom
Your shampoo can still be your bathroom item, it’s just that it belongs to the floors. If you do not want to risk anything then you can use it as a bathroom cleaner and it will work fine or even better.
Here video for further guidance