If you are someone with naturally grey hair or if your hair has become grey due to old age who decided to spice it up by dying your hair and decided later that you don’t want that colour anymore and want to get permanent dye of your hair, then keep reading.
The method you use and how much dye it will get removed will depend on the following things.
- When did you dye your hair?
- If you are choosing to go to a salon and get it removed or if you are going to make your home your salon.
- Take enough time to consider what products you are going to use if you are opting for the chemical removal of dye and choose the product that meets your needs. Keep in mind your hair type.
- The colour of your hair dye. The darker the color the more effort it takes to remove it.
Natural or home remedies to remove the dye from your hair
1. With the help of white vinegar
The acidity of the vinegar will help remove the dye from your hair over time. Since the acid in it is not harsh it won’t do much damage to your hair. Also, you may not see drastic changes on the first attempt.
- Mix 1 part of white vinegar with 1 part of water
- Apply this mixture into your hair
- After application, put a shower cap or a plastic bag over your hair and wait for about 20 minutes.
2. Use clarifying shampoo
Clarifying shampoo will help you to remove the dye by allowing the colour to wash out or fade out after washing it a few things. You can also use dandruff shampoo. This method like vinegar will take a few more attempts to see some drastic change, which can’t be promised.
3. Vitamin-C tablets
This method will work magic if you just recently dyed your hair (and had an instant regret)
- Take a few Vitamin-C tablets, smash them and mix them with hot water to create a paste-like consistency.
- Apply this mixture on your hair and cover it with a plastic bag or if available use a shower cap and wait for about an hour and then rinse your hair thoroughly with hot water.
4. A mix of shampoo and baking soda
If using shampoo alone didn’t work then follow this method. The change won’t be on the same level as that of using a chemical product that is manufactured for this sole purpose.
- Create a mixture by mixing 1 part of baking soda and one part of shampoo (either clarifying or dandruff). Apply this mixture to your hair, wait for some time and then wash it off your hair.
- The baking soda mixed with shampoo will definitely work compared to just shampoo.
- The baking soda will help loosen the bond between the color molecules and your hair.
- This technique will make your hair dry so it is recommended that you hydrate your hair before and after the process.
5. Shampoo plus Vitamin C
- Mix Vitamin C powder or tablet crushed into powder with shampoo (10tsp to 40ml ratio)
- Apply this into your hair thoroughly and cover it using a plastic bag or shower cap for about an hour or two and then rinse it out.
- This might dry out your hair a bit, so make sure to moisturize it later.
Products available in the market for permanent dye removal
Remember that, unlike natural remedies, permanent dye removals can be harmful to your hair and if used in the wrong way can even affect your scalp, so make sure you have to treat your hair properly before and after the process, it is also important that you keep your hair healthy before starting the process. If your hair is damaged, please do not rush into doing the treatment.
- Help remove dark shade, uneven results, and color build-up.
- Makes hair ready for another dying session.
- Suitable for the correction of all hair colors.
- This product removes permanent as well as the semi-permanent dye from your hair gently.
- It is ammonia-free
- Claims to remove dye within 20 minutes.
- Easy to use due to its one-step application technique.
- For Darker Hair Colours
- wash away your unwanted artificial color and provide strength to your hair.
- It works by shrinking the artificial dye molecules in the hair and makes it easy to wash the color away.
- The brand claims that you can re-apply your desired hair dye immediately after you use this product to remove the previous dye from your hair. But it is better to wait for at least a week or two before you dye it again.
4. Revolution Pro, Hair Colour Remover
- Removes the dye quickly and easily
- Help remove permanent, semi-permanent, and temporary colors.
- Do not contain ammonia or bleach
- Provides a gentle and damage-free removal of dye.
- The brand claims that the product can also work as a hair detox
- Contain the nourishing baobab oil which helps to condition the dry and damaged hair.
- Helps restore softness and elasticity to hair.
Go through the products given in the list and more and choose what is right for you, if you can’t decide then it is better to go to a salon and consult the hair stylist. If you are a very patient person and are not in immediate need to change or remove the colour then just let your hair grow out there is no method more healthy and affordable than that.